Monday, June 2, 2008

Hurting Teens

Came home from work a tad bit early, headache. Ate my dinner and sat down to check my email. The doorbell rang. Odd, no cars in the driveway. I went to the door and opened it. It was Crystal from down the street.

She is a great kid. A senior, straight A's, works hard. Her Dad and brother drowned in an accident about five years ago. She has had to deal with some pretty tough stuff.

She was sobbing - My Mom kicked me out. I pulled her in the house, hugged her, held her and let her cry. Her story came out. She is scared. Doesn't know what she did to make her mom so angry.

I told her she was welcome to stay with us. She wanted to get further away. So she called another friend, the parents came over to get her. We chatted for a while. Everyone wants to help - but we are all concerned about what Crystal's mom might do to us.

It makes me sad that in our wanting to reach out and love on someone who is alone and hurting, we have to be scared about what may happen to us. What kind of world is this that we can't help without having a fear of being prosecuted?

We'll be there for Crystal and any other young people God brings our way. For now, all I can do is pray.

No comments: