Monday, February 16, 2009

The Prodigal Reaches Out

We have adjusted to our life without the Prodigal (Jay). It is not better, it is not worse. It is different.


Tonight my phone rings - "Hi Mom, it's Jay, I need to talk to you and want you to listen."


Inside my mind - Okay - have I not been listening for the last 18+ years? Do you think this has been easy for me?


"I had a really bad dream last night."


Inside my mind - Oh, no night terrors. He has had them for years. Who is going to hold him as he cries in the dark of the night?


"What do I need to do to move home? I'll get a job, I'll call Primavera to get back in school, whatever."

Inside my mind - What will be different this time? Why should I believe you?

I ask "Is Justin kicking you out?"

"No, it's just I am tired of the party scene - there is no point in it. I need to get serious about my life."

Inside my mind - I have heard this all before.

I say "Why don't you start doing the things you need to do, show us you are serious."

"That's a great idea Mom. I love you."

Once again I fall to my knees, begging God to do a miracle in the life of our Prodigal Son. And I praise God for the one who has been faithful.

No comments: